The thought of a home fire is frightening to everyone, but the fear is often greater for people living in houses, apartments and dormitories. Multi-unit residential buildings may indicate a unique fire safety concern. With so many neighbors living together, exit routes that could be confusing, and management companies being pressured to limit the safety of citizens against competing priorities, many apartment dwellers completely avoid thinking about fire hazards with Fire Watch Services.
If you live in an apartment, however, understanding the dangers and creating a firefighting plan can save your life. Many apartment fires are caused by human error that can be easily avoided and, therefore, are often prevented without the help of Fire Watch Guards. A little preparation can set the stage for less danger. Here’s what you need to know to prevent, fight, and escape house fires.
What Causes Housing?
Like other home fires, apartment fires often appear in everyday activities. The U.S. The Fire Administration (USFA) reported that part of the residential fire in 2015 was caused by cooking-related accidents. The second most common cause involved heat disturbances, although electrical or mechanical malfunctions, burning candles, and smoking were also cited as common causes.
How Can You Prevent a Fire?
Tenants can control many potential hazards to their homes.
Never leave the stove empty when preparing food, and be sure to turn off stoves and utensils as soon as you prepare food. Be especially careful when cooking or frying with oil or grease, and keep clothing and other flammable items away from flames.
Leave at least three permit feet around atmospheric heaters. Wood-burning stoves and fireplaces are not uncommon in apartment buildings, but if you use them, be sure to clean and maintain them properly. This includes ensuring that building chimneys are regularly provided by a professional. Make sure the ashes are cool before disposing and do not place them in flammable containers (e.g., paper bags, plastic containers).
Be careful when using candles in your home. Never leave open flames unattended and be sure to keep candles away from curtains and other flammable materials. Extinguish candles before leaving the room or going to bed. (Also check your rental, because some buildings do not allow open flames at all.)
It is very safe not to just smoke in your house; According to the American Red Cross, “smoking is the leading cause of death in the United States.” But if you must smoke, never smoke in bed. Always switch off cigarettes, cigarettes, etc., before discarding them. Keep matches and lighting fixtures out of the reach of children. (This also applies to nonsmokers, as kitchen matches and candle lighters are common tools in many homes.)