Today, every task is dependent on a blazing-fast internet connection. That is why people set up Netgear wireless range extenders in their homes. The purpose of the extender is to amplify the signals transmitted by the router and provide whole-home coverage. By connecting wireless client devices to the extender’s Netgear_ext SSID, users can access a lag-free internet connection. However, at times users are unable to see the extender’s SSID on their network list. If you are amongst them, then walking through this post will help you get the problem fixed. So, wait no more and read on.
Fixed: Can’t See Netgear_Ext on Network List
- Reboot Your Netgear Extender
Before you do anything else, try to implement the timeless IT advice that says- if it is not working, switch it off and on. It means you have to reboot your wireless range extender. The process of rebooting the extender is quite simple.
Here’s a set of instructions that you need to follow in order to give a fresh start to your range extender:
- Unplug your Netgear extender.
- Wait for a couple of minutes.
- Plug the extender back into the power source.
Now, refresh your network list and check whether the extender’s Netgear_ext appears on it or not. No luck? Try the next troubleshooting hack.
- Connect Your WiFi Devices Properly
Have you connected your Netgear extender to the router properly? Probably not. Otherwise, you won’t be struggling to see the extender’s SSID on the network list. To rid yourself of the issue, consider placing the extender in the boundary line of the WiFi signals emitted by the host router. By doing you will ensure a stable connection between both WiFi devices.
Just in case you are using an Ethernet cable for connecting your WiFi devices, make sure that it is free of cuts.
- Update the Firmware
The firmware is an indigenous software embedded in the Netgear extender that helps in streamlining its performance. That is why keeping it updated holds a great importance. But, it looks like you ignored the pending firmware update that has led you to the problem you’re currently facing.
Check the instructions outlined below to upgrade your Netgear extender’s firmware:
- After connecting your Netgear extender to the router, switch on your PC.
- Launch a web browser.
- Head over to the URL field and type www.mywifiext.net.
- Press Enter.
- Log in to your Netgear extender and reach the smart setup wizard.
- Here, click the Firmware Upgrade option under the Settings menu.
- Thereafter, walk through the on-screen prompts and let your extender get updated.
In this manner, you can update the extender’s firmware. Now, check whether the extender’s Netgear_ext appears on the network list.
- Change the Extender’s Location
After setting up the wireless extender, users are free to relocate it. But, the condition is that it shouldn’t be placed in a WiFi-interference zone. Perhaps, you violated the rule due to which your extender’s signals are getting blocked. In that scenario, we advise you to change the extender’s location.
Keep your Netgear extender away from the things mentioned below:
- Cordless phones
- Baby monitors
- Bluetooth devices like mouse, speakers, and keyboards
- Microwave ovens
- Metal doors
- Aluminum studs
- Thick timber blocks
- Concrete walls
- Washing machines
5. Install the Extender Properly
If none of the aforementioned troubleshooting hacks has worked in your favor, then chances are that the installation process of your extender is incomplete. In that case, you need to complete the setup process. Not to sound negative, but you need to reset your Netgear extender first in order to get the problem resolved. The good news is that you will be able to set up your extender from scratch.
Consider the following instructions to reset your range extender:
- Make sure that your extender is plugged into a working power source.
- Now, look for the Reset button on your device.
- Get hold of a sharp object.
- Press and hold the Reset button.
- Your extender will get restored to the factory default mode.
Now that you have reset your wireless device, you can access the Netgear Genie setup wizard and make it up and running.
And with that, our list of troubleshooting tips to fix the extender’s Netgear_ext not showing on the network list comes to an end. Anticipating that you will be able to see the extender’s network name on your device list after following these hacks.