Is your Netgear Nighthawk router not giving you the desired result? Well, in that case, we recommend that you update the firmware of your wireless device. Performing Netgear router firmware update via 192.168.1.1 will help you enhance the overall performance of your WiFi device. So, walk through the guidelines mentioned in this post and learn how to update the firmware of your home router to the latest version.
How to Perform Netgear Router Firmware Update?
- Connect Router and Modem
Start by creating a connection between your Netgear Nighthawk router and the existing modem. You can use an Ethernet cable as well as a wireless source to connect your devices. The choice is totally yours.
Note: If you decide to use an Ethernet cable to connect your router and the modem, then make sure that it is not worn out or damaged from anywhere.
- Launch an Internet Browser
Once a secure connection between your Netgear Nighthawk router and the existing modem has been established, switch on your computer, and launch a web browser on it.
Note: It doesn’t matter which web browser you choose, just make sure that it is running on its updated version. Or else, you might come across technical issues.
In the address bar of the web browser, type www.routerlogin.net. Press the Enter to get redirected to the Netgear router administrative page.
Note: If you are not able to log in to your Netgear wireless router via routerlogin.net, then consider using the default IP address instead.
- Click Firmware Update
As soon as you have accessed the Nighthawk router login page, fill in the default username and password and click Log In. Once on the Netgear Genie dashboard, click Settings and follow the instructions mentioned below:
- Click Wireless Settings.
- The Wireless Settings Page will come into view.
- Under the Maintenance section, select Firmware Update.
- Your device will check if there is any firmware update available.
- If it is, then without wasting any more tine, follow the on-screen prompts.
In this manner, you will successfully be able to update the firmware of your Netgear Nighthawk wireless router. In case you come across any issues during the process, it is advised that you take the help of the troubleshooting tips given below.
Can’t Perform Netgear Router Firmware Update?
- Make sure that your Netgear Nighthawk router is receiving an adequate and fluctuation-free power supply from the power source.
- If the wall socket into which your router is plugged is damaged, consider plugging your device into a different power source.
- Ensure that your Netgear wireless router and the existing modem are placed in the same room. There shouldn’t be too much distance between your devices.
- Clear the cache, cookies, and browsing history of the device that you are using to log in to your Netgear Nighthawk router.
- If you have made the mistake of entering the default web address in the search bar of the web browser, rectify it immediately by typing it in the address bar.
- In case you are not sure regarding the default username and password of your Netgear wireless router, then it is recommended that you refer to the user manual.
- Do not perform any background activities on your device while the firmware is getting updated.
Hopefully, these troubleshooting tips will help you resolve whatever issues you are facing while updating the firmware of your router to the latest version.
This was all about how to manually update your Netgear Nighthawk router to the latest version. Let us hope that the aforementioned guidelines helped you update the firmware of your wireless device successfully.
In case you want to try another method to update the firmware of your home router, consider opting for the Nighthawk application.