This troubleshooting guide provides you with the instructions to fix ‘WiFi extender not connecting to internet’ issue. Read on.
Solution 1: Basic Troubleshooting
- Check if you are connected to the correct WiFi network.
- Disconnect your extender from the current network and reconnect it after some time.
- Make sure that you entered the correct security key to connect to the network.
- Partial or improper WiFi extender setup may lead you to ‘no internet access’ error.
Note: To perform a hassle-free extender setup, click here.
- The extender’s hardware should not be faulty.
- Ensure that all cable connections are finger-tight and precise.
Solution 2: Aim For Optimal Extender Placement
If all the aforementioned things are not the reason behind the issue, the extender’s placement can be the troublemaker. So, in order to fix ‘WiFi extender won’t connect to internet’ error, place your range extender at the right location. Keep the following guidelines in mind before placing your device:
- Place the WiFi extender to a central location of your home or office.
- The extender should be placed within the reach of an electrical outlet.
- Keep a visible distance between your WiFi range extender and electronic devices such as microwave ovens, refrigerators, electric garage openers, etc.
- Don’t place your extender near metal objects and reflexive surfaces, including aluminum studs, mirrors, and fish tanks.
Solution 3: Advanced Troubleshooting
Still your WiFi extender not connecting to internet? If yes, give the following advanced troubleshooting tips a shot:
- Restart your WiFi range extender.
- Check the status of LED lights on your extender.
- If the LEDs are glowing in red, it implies that your WiFi extender is not connected to router.
- On the other hand, if there is an orange flashing light, it signifies that your extender is connected to the router but no internet/WAN.
- Verify if your range extender is correctly configured.
Quick Tip: If you are unable to configure your WiFi range extender, get in touch with us via the comments section.
- Check whether your extender is broadcasting its SSID (network name) or not.
Solution 4: Update Extender’s Firmware
None of the aforementioned solutions fixed the issue for you? Still unable to connect to internet through WiFi extender? If so, it’s time to update your extender’s firmware. Follow the step-by-step guide below to perform WiFi extender firmware update:
Step-1: Put your WiFi range extender on power.
Step-2: Open a web browser on your computer or laptop.
Step-3: Log in to your WiFi extender. To know how to log in to your extender, click here.
Step-4: After login, click on the Firmware Update option.
Step-5: If there is any new firmware available, follow on-screen prompts to update your extender’s firmware.
Kudos! You have successfully updated your WiFi extender to the latest firmware. Now, check if your extender is connected to internet or not.
If you are still seeing ‘WiFi extender not connecting to internet’ error, chances are your extender needs a firmware downgrade. It requires a bit technical knowledge to download the extender’s firmware. So, it’s better to take technical assistance from highly-experienced technicians.