While it’s very healthy to eat fruits and vegetables, it’s not safe to eat it right away from a grocery store. Fruits and vegetables are touched by so many unwashed hands in a grocery store and then you pick it up for yourself. And now after the COVID-19 virus everyone has turned out to be very cautious of all the germs and bacteria on fruits and vegetables. But how to disinfect fruits and vegetables properly?
Cleaning of fruits and vegetables just with plain water is not enough for killing the germs and bacteria. You need to clean fruits and vegetables with few ingredients in DIY cleaning solutions. Vinegar or just plain water is not enough to kill the bacteria or germs on fruits and vegetables. You can just not wash your fruits and vegetables with normal water or soap. If you wash your fruits or vegetables with soap, it may cause you an upset stomach. You need to use the right ingredient to wash and disinfect the fruits and vegetables that you will consume.
Pesticides are sprayed on all the products these days, even on the organic ones and since it’s not healthy to ingest pesticides we need to be careful before consuming any product purchased from the store. We need to be very careful with what we are eating to avoid any health issues.
Here we are to find out different ways to disinfect fruits and vegetables-
1. Wash your hands – first step needs to be washing your hands with lukewarm water and a soap for some time before you touch fruits and vegetables, you should also clean your hands after you have washed fruits and vegetables.
2. Make your own Veggie wash – you can make your own veggie wash to wash your vegetables and fruits. You will need –
-measuring cup and spoons
you can make your own solution. You can add 1 cup of vinegar into 4 cups of water inside the spray bottle and then some lime juice. Shake it properly so it mixes well. Then you can spray the solution on your fruits and vegetables. Let the solution stay on them for a while. Rinse off the fruits and vegetables with cold water. Lastly you can just pat it with dry clothes.
3. Make a solution of vinegar and baking soda – you can put some baking powder in a large bowl and some vinegar in it, fill the bowl with hot water. Stir your fruits and vegetables in the bowl and mix them properly. Leave it in for about 20-30 minutes. You can wash them after soaking them properly in the bowl. Air dry the fruits and vegetables and keep it neatly in your refrigerator.
4. Solution of salt, turmeric and vinegar- you need to take all these things equally and mix them in hot water. Add all of this in a large bowl so that it’s easy for you to soak all the fruits and vegetables properly. Let it soak in for 30 minutes. Add a little bit of lemon in the solution. Once you are done you can wash all of them with normal water and let them dry. This is a good solution to get rid of germs.
5. Scrub wash – vegetables like carrot and potato which are a bit hard, you can go for scrub wash. You can use any scrubber and wash these vegetables. Soak them in cold water for a minute or two. Lastly, just dry them off.
6. Cleaning off the leafy greens – To clean leafy green vegetables the only and the best way is to clean them with normal running water. You can add salt and cold ice water in a bowl and add the leafy green vegetables into it. These will make your vegetables sanitized properly and they will also last for a long time.
However, it is very essential to clean your fruits and vegetables after you purchase from a grocery shop. When you clean your fruits and vegetables properly with the DIY methods as an answer to your query on how to disinfect fruits and vegetables, mentioned above you are creating a safe and healthy eatable for yourself by killing the bacteria and germs present in them. These DIY also are super easy to make and are budget friendly to make it yourself.
Is it important to separate your fruits and vegetables before cleaning them?
All fruits and vegetables have different kinds of skins and firmness. It’s better to separate them into their categories before you wash them. You can divide them according to their firmness, delicacy and green leafy vegetables.
How important is it to clean your storage area?
Fridge cleaning is important. Your fruits and vegetables are kept in them and if the fridge is not cleaned properly, they might come in contact with germs in there. Every time you take out any vegetable or fruit outside for cooking, make sure to wash it once again.
How to disinfect fruits and vegetables only with vinegar?
Only vinegar is not the best ingredient for killing germs on fruits and vegetables. There are other ingredients which should be used to kill the virus and germs. There is no surety that vinegar can kill the dangerous bacteria.
Can you wash green leafy vegetables with the solutions made naturally?
Yes, even the green leafy vegetables can be washed with the natural made solution at home. You just need to put the green leafy vegetables in a bowl with vinegar salt and let them soak in it for a while. Later on, rinse the vegetable with cold water.
How can you kill germs on vegetables?
If you wash your vegetable or fruit, you can kill the bacteria which also has E. coli from the surface of the fruit. Most of the bacteria present are attached to the product. It is necessary to wash it properly so that you also remove the soil present in it.