Is your Netgear WiFi router blinking red for no reason at all? Well, there’s got to be a reason why your device is showing danger signs.Some of the most common reasons why your Netgear WiFi router is flashing red are:
- Improper hardware configuration
- The connection between your router and modem isn’t stable
- Loose cable connections
- Outdated or corrupted firmware
- Internet issue from the end of your ISP
- Your WiFi devices aren’t placed in close proximity
- There are some technical glitches.
These were some of the most common reasons why your Netgear router is flashing red. Yes, the list of reasons is quite long, but worry not! The below mentioned troubleshooting tips will surely help you in fixing the issue.
How to Fix Netgear Router Red Light Issue?
- Perform Netgear Router Firmware Update
Netgear router red light issue can be resolved by updating the firmware of your device. Although there’s no guarantee that it would work, but it’s worth a try!
- Power on your Netgear router as well as your PC.
- Open up a random web browser on your PC and access www.routerlogin.net.
- The www.routerlogin.net login page will appear.
- Enter the default username and password of your Netgear router.
- The Netgear Genie dashboard will appear on your screen.
- Go to Settings, select Administration, and click on the Firmware Update button.
Note: You can also log into your Netgear Nighthawk router by using 192.168.1.1 default IP.
- Relocate Your Netgear Nighthawk Router
Another thing that might be stopping your device from functioning well is is an improper location. Therefore, it is recommended that you relocate your Netgear router immediately.
To troubleshoot the issue, it is recommended that you place your router where it’s supposed to be. Neither place it too close to the modem, not too far. Keep a safe distance between your WiFi devices. Only then will you see the results.
- Check the Connection Between the Router and Modem
Another common reason why you’re facing the red light issue is because the connection between your Netgear Nighthawk router and modem is poor. Thus, make sure that the connection between your devices is well-established. Rather than connecting your devices wirelessly, why don’t you connect them using a cable?
Trust us, using a cable to connect your device is a more reliable and safer option in comparison.
- Reset Your Router
If none of the aforementioned steps have helped you in fixing the Netgear router red light issue, then we recommend you give factory default reset a try.
Mentioned below are the guidelines that will assist you in restoring your Netgear Nighthawk router to its factory default settings:
- Open a new tab in your current web browser.
- Perform Netgear router login by accessing either routerlogin.net or 192.168.1.1.
- Then, click on Advanced > Administration > Erase > Restore to factory default settings.
By following these instructions, not only will you be able to perform factory default reset but also get rid of the Netgear red light issue.
The Bottom Line
If you carefully follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this article, you’ll surely be able to get rid of the red light issue. On the off chance, if the issue persists, then it’s probably because your router is damaged. Thus, either get your router fixed or it is recommended that you bring an extender in your home and perform Netgear extender setup. The choice lies in your hands.
If the issue still exists, then we highly recommend you to get in touch with our technical experts.