Regularly updating the software that you use provides you with new features and performance for the devices that support that software. Similarly, Netgear releases router firmware updates from time to time to make the routers more efficient.
When you perform a Netgear router firmware update, the overall performance of the Netgear router improves. However, there two ways in which you can update the Netgear router firmware. Keep reading to know about both the steps.
Firmware Update Via Web Browser
Connect PC To Home WiFi
- Plugin and turn on your computer.
- Connect your computer to the Netgear router connection.
Open A Web Browser
- Double-tap a web browser icon to open it.
- Access the Netgear router login portal.
- If it does not work, clear the cache files of the web browser.
Note: Check whether the web browser that you selected is up-to-date. If not, update it before accessing the routerlogin.net web page.
Access Netgear Login Portal
- Enter user ID and password when the routerlogin.net opens.
- Read the router user manual to know your user ID and password.
Open Settings Of Your Router
- Once you are logged in, open ‘Settings’.
- Choose ‘Administration’ to access the firmware update page.
- Open the ‘Firmware Update’ or ‘Router update’ from the available options.
Check For Firmware Update
- Open the ‘Firmware Update’ option of the Netgear router.
- Tap the ‘Check’ button to look for a router firmware update.
- Update the router firmware if there is any update for your router.
- The firmware will be automatically updated when you click the ‘Update’ option.
Note: It will take some time to download and update your Netgear router firmware. The router will shut down and restart on its own once the update is successful.
Manual Firmware Update
Connect To The Internet
- Connect your computer to the internet via modem.
- Link your modem to the Netgear router to have a blazing fast home WiFi connection.
Access The Netgear Support Page
- Once your computer is connected to the internet, open a web browser.
- Choose an updated version of a web browser.
- You can also use the Netgear router login IP in the URL to access the login web page.
- Access the Netgear support page.
Enter Your Router Details
- Once you are logged in, a web interface opens before you.
- Enter your product name and router’s model number in the prescribed space.
- Press enter once done.
Download Firmware Update
- You are redirected to the firmware update portal.
- Download the latest version of your Netgear router firmware.
- Save the downloaded firmware file to the local drive of your computer.
Log Into Netgear Login Portal
- Open the Netgear login portal in your web browser.
- Enter log in credentials in the Netgear genie login page.
- Press enter to log in.
Select Firmware Update
- Once you are logged into your Netgear router, select the update option from the router settings.
- A pop-up window opens to manually select the firmware update.
- Browse to the location where your firmware file is stored.
- Choose the downloaded firmware package stored on your PC.
- Select it to open the firmware package.
- Once the file is selected, click to upload it online.
- It will take some time to update your router firmware.
However, if you feel stuck while updating your Netgear router framework, feel free to contact technical professionals to resolve any issue.